Friday, April 07, 2006

What Happens to Anxiety Dreams When You're Out of School...

Do you remember those dreams you would have as a kid, where you would show up to school in only your underwear? Yeah, you would suddenly realize while you were getting up to go to the board that, "Oh.My.God. I'm in my underwear! What the hell am I thinking coming to school in my underwear?!" About that time some, teeth polished white as a porcelain toilet, cheerleader arch-nemesis would start to taunt you, "Look at Ms. Dulce! You freak you're in your pink and blue smurf undies!"

Ok, maybe not the last part but admit you were with me until then. Just nod and smile.

So last night I'm dreaming that the Dulce family is running late for Easter Brunch at my SIL's house. My perfectly primed and very posh SIL. The one who takes her children for $60 haircuts and they are 4 and 8. My kids run from me when they hear the first clank of the step stool as I climb in the hall closet for the clippers.

Anyway, back to the dream...

It's a frantic paced dream. We are running late. I'm trying to round up the the Dulce boys who are mad and crying because, like the ole-Oh.my.god. I showed up for school and there's a test today dream, I apparently forgot it was Easter. Which meant we didn't dye any Easter Eggs and the Easter Bunny forgot their Easter Baskets.

My DH is looking at me with this pitiful, "how could you have forgotten the Easter baskets" kind of look. I am feeling frazzled trying to load everyone in the minivan and somehow I keep loosing a kid out the other side before I can get the last one bucked in the carseat. We finally arrive at my SIL and I realize I didn't bring the side dishes. Then some woman, whom I do not recognize but oddly looks a lot like, Carrie Donovan, the woman who used to do the Old Navy commercials is saying grace but stops in the middle and just stares at me, Mr. Dulce and the Dulce Boys. You remember her...





Right.

Now, after a long uncomfortable moment, she says, "I just have to say, I can't believe that you would come to Easter Brunch in thermal shirts and sweat pants! How rude!"

I look down and sure enough I'm in a thermal Henley and navy sweat pants.

I woke up this morning and the first thing I said to Mr. Dulce was "I need to make sure to buy Easter outfits this year."

To which Mr. Dulce responded with, "Ooohkaay. But, dear you hate to shop."

"Yeah, but I'm not showing up at your sister's Easter brunch in a thermal Henley and navy sweat pants."

Mr. Dulce was appropriately confused and left bed in search of coffee and his real wife. Because he gave me a look as if he'd never seen me before in his life. I think he mumbled something to the children about not going to our bedroom until Mommy woke up some more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home